Further development in RO DBT
For those of you who wish to further develop their RO Skills, we are now offering several options:
- Expert-Led Team Consult: the aim of the expert-led Radically Open Dialectical Behavior Therapy (RO DBT) consult team is to support RO DBT therapists with the collective wisdom of their colleagues and an expert in learning and providing RO DBT.
- RO expert led team consult for existing teams: similar to the expert-led teams above, this option is for existing teams. You invite an expert to join your team to provide guidance and model RO consult leadership.
- Meet the Expert: the aim of this 1-hour meeting is for clinicians to ask questions about the teaching materials. This meeting is not meant to discuss patient-related or case-specific issues although there may be exceptions. It is possible to attend the meeting as a group if you all have the same topic you’d like to discuss, or if you are working in a team and would like the collective benefit of getting a better understanding of the materials. The expert might practice protocols with you using role-plays.
More information about these options and how to book them can be found on our Radically Open Blended Learning website.
The RO DBT Scholarship Pathway
In line with our commitment to encourage therapists to deepen their knowledge of RO DBT and advance their career pathways by becoming accredited senior clinicians in RO DBT, the RO DBT Scholarship Pathway, funded by Radically Open, offers therapists supplemental teaching in the principles and practices of the therapy. Therapists accepted onto the pathway will be granted the title of RO Clinician Scholar and will receive an accredited certificate and email logo.
The RO DBT Scholarship: Radically Open will fund 5 places on every intensive (parts 1 and 2) – with a total value of $15,500 per intensive. We organise 2 – 3 intensives each year allowing us to fund between 10 – 15 places annually. These places will be made available to people wanting to deepen their understanding of RO DBT and to those wanting to join the senior clinician team and become ‘expert’ team consult leaders, supervisors and trainers.
RO DBT Clinical Scholars will each receive a RO Scholarship certificate and email badge, are entitled to free attendance at a further intensive training, and are invited to attend two new Scholar initiatives we are launching this year (2020):
- Quarterly on line micro-analytic supervision sessions organised specifically for scholars
- Invitation only scholar weekend trainings which in 2020 will take place in Portland OR and London UK.
To apply for a RO DBT scholarship, the candidate must fulfil the following conditions:
- Have completed the full 10 days (parts 1 and 2) of an intensive training.
- Have a regular self enquiry practice and keep a self enquiry journal.
- Have completed:
- A minimum of 3 supervisory sessions with an accredited RO supervisor. This must consist of one to one micro-analytic supervision of a taped session which can take place as part of a team supervision, but the 3 tapes must be the candidates own sessions. You can find a list of approved RO Supervisors here.
- Or have attended a minimum of 6 RO DBT ‘expert led’ consultation team meetings led by a certified RO senior clinician. You can find more about Expert-Led Team Consult here.
- It is highly recommended that the candidate completes the full therapy (30 sessions plus skills class) with at least 2 clients (although we recognise that environmental constraints means this is not always possible).
- Provide a letter of recommendation from their supervisor or team consult leader. The letter should outline the quality of work and personal readiness of the candidate to attend a second intensive, as well as confirm the supervision/expert led team consult requirements have been met (see above).
- Submit a personal letter of intent outlining their interest in pursuing a second intensive.
- Provide a written case study on one client (using the guidelines on the application form) which should be submitted to your supervisor/team consult leader. It is recommended that the candidate discusses the case study with the supervisor for approval before beginning the assignment, to ensure it is a good training case. This will also help the scholarship committee take into account individual/environmental/cultural differences which may affect whether full delivery of the treatment is possible and allow flexibility when individuals do not meet the full criteria for scholarship but have other unique or promising features that might further the RO DBT mission e.g. academic research.
There will be 2 dates for submission each year – January 1st and June 1st. PLEASE NOTE: DUE TO THE CORONA VIRUS OUTBREAK AND ITS CONSEQUENCES FOR OUR WORKSHOPS, THE NEXT SUBMISSION DEADLINE WILL BE JANUARY 1ST, 2021
RO Clinical Scholar Pathway application form
Scholarship awards will be decided by a committee made up of senior clinicians and the senior management team of Radically Open Ltd – Tom, Roelie and Erica.
Progression to join the senior clinician team
RO Clinician Scholars can apply for membership of the senior clinician team once the following conditions are met:
- Have completed a second intensive via the RO scholarship scheme.
- Be seeing 3 clients (this can include the 2 clients seen to qualify for the scholarship scheme).
- Be teaching a skills class.
- Have a self enquiry buddy and be keeping a self enquiry journal.
- Be receiving ongoing supervision e.g. monthly
- Be assessed as adherent on 3 tapes
- Have one tape assessed by Tom for adherence
- Provide a letter of recommendation from their supervisor
- Submit a personal letter of intent
If you are interested in applying for a scholarship, please write to Erica AND Roelie and copy in your supervisor.